Tuesday, October 14, 2008

NAVY DAY!


Saturday, October 11th was Navy Day in the District. I had a few hours in the morning so I hopped on the red line to the Archives/Navy Memorial exit. This was the first time I had used this stop and I was surprised to see that the escaltor puts you at the foot of the Navy Memorial. There was a young uniformed officer standing at the top of the escalator, handing out pamphlets for the event. The Navy Memorial is round and set up like a stage. around the farthest circle is a fountain. The next is a mural cut into the stone wall depicting the naval adventures of our men dating back to before the Revolution.






Around the memorial they had set up humvees and other naval vehicles. Inside were tables with activities for kids. There were also booths set up by the navy with different kinds of equipment on display. There was a booth set up by the Seals with assorted weapons. I stopped by the diving table and spoke to a couple naval officers about what it takes to be a navy diver and the types of training they endure. After listening to Marcus Litrell's Lone Survior on the way to DC, I developed an interest in the Navy and the missions they endure.







This was officially my first event in the District and I can't to see what is to come!

No comments: