Wednesday, October 22, 2008

When the Congress is away…


With Congress in recess until after the election, one must ask what goes on in Capitol Hill? Since we are inquiring into the daily activities of the legislative branch, what goes on in Capitol Hill when Congress is in session? I don’t think I can provide any valuable insight into the second question, as I have been in the city less then a month. The first however, may be more surprising than you might think.


A good friend of mine that lives on Capitol Hill (and who happens to be Laura Ingraham’s intern) extended an invitation to me for a Congressional Hall Party. It took place on a Thursday night. That being my day off for the week, I happily agreed. I saw this small get together as a great opportunity to get to know some people. With my ridiculous work schedule and preoccupation with setting up my house, I have had virtually no opportunities to meet people up until this point. I calculate that at any given moment, I know a grand total of 4 people in the DC metro area. Not counting coworkers of course. As someone who has never had trouble making new friends, those statistics are quite embarrassing.


Lindsay and I agreed to meet at the Capitol South Metro Stop at 5:00PM. We went and grabbed a quick bite to eat, then were off to the Rayburn Building. One of the Congressional Office buildings, the Rayburn is on the South side (or Congressional side) of Capitol Hill. We quickly got through security with a minor delay, (my boots managed to set off the metal detectors) and took the elevator up.


A Congressional Hall Party is exactly what it sounds like. All the congressional staffers, aides and interns set up tables in the hallway connecting the offices. The were about a dozen twenty-something of Capitol Hill’s finest milling from office to office, drinking beer and eating common party fare. Everyone stayed in the middle of the hall, milling between two to three open offices. We put our bags down in Lindsay's old office, belonging to a republican Congressman from Texas. I was surprised the find that the Congressman's office was open. Lindsay told me I was allowed to go in, even though no one was there and technically, she is no longer employed by him. The office was large, with matching blue leather couches lining one wall and a large executive desk towards the back of the room. Behind the desk was a window that had, I'm sure, the most amazing view of the Capitol. The walls were lined with photos of the Congressman with other leaders and Presidents as well as those of his children and grandchildren.

Resisting the urge to snoop, I quickly left the office to rejoin Lindsay and the other staffers. I met a lot of different people and from what she told me before the party, all the staffers hung out without regard to political identification. Their bosses should learn a thing or too from the hired help. We followed a group into a Kentucky Congressman's office, thinking that there was more food or something that would attract the small crowd. What I found was quite astonishing.

Feeling like I had somehow entered a parrallel universe, I walked into the office of the Congressman to find three staffers gathered around a plasma screen TV playing Wii. Yes, the video game system. Specifically they were playing Mario Kart. On Capitol Hill. In a Congressman's personal office. Words cannot quite describe how surreal it felt to witness this. So instead of observing, we all jumped it. How often can you say that you played Wii in a Congressman's office on Capitol Hill?

In case you ever find yourself wondering, "How does my Congressman spend his/her time in Washington" just picture three Capitol Hill staffers lounging on leather couches with Wii controllers in their hands.

No comments: